US officials accuse Egypt and UAE of launching air strikes in Libya – Al-Tahrir News Network

by

Egypt and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are responsible for carrying out series of air strikes in the past week on armed Islamist factions in Tripoli, the New York Times quoted US officials saying on Monday.

The US officials said the two Arab countries launched attacks from aircraft based in Egypt.

According to to the New York Times, US officials said Egypt had provided military bases to launch the strikes from, while the pilots, warplanes and aerial refuelling planes were from the UAE.

“I don’t believe it,” said Libya’s ambassador to the UN, Ibrahim Dabbashi, commenting on the US’ accusations.

“They are not even technically capable, and it would also be a very sensitive thing for them politically,” Ibrahim added.

On Sunday, Islamist fighters of the Fajr Libya (Libyan Dawn) coalition announced that the group had taken full control of Tripoli International Airport following violent clashes with nationalist militias.

The group accused Egypt and UAE of involvement in the Friday airstrikes when two unknown planes shelled Islamist positions on Monday night.

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry has denied any involvement.

The ministry said in a statement on Sunday, “There is absolutely no truth to such news.”

President Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi denied any Egyptian military intervention in Libya saying, “We haven’t take part in any military act outside our borders so far, our forces are inside our territories.”

No official response from Emirati authorities has been reported.